In this video I unlock the Biblical keys to the “Spirit & Muscle Mindset” – the mindset that empowers you to reach your full God-given potential. The Bible says, “As a man thinks in his heart SO IS HE.” (Proverbs 27:3a) Our past negative thoughts can keep us from growing, but when we “renew our minds” with positive Biblical truths, we actually re-write our own programming and open the door to reach our God-given potential!
First let’s define what we mean by mindset, on the surface it’s how we think and feel about fitness. But let’s go a little deeper, your mindset is your belief system, what you believe about fitness and more importantly what you believe about yourself and your relationship with fitness. What you think is determined by what you believe, and your thoughts and beliefs will manifest in your attitude and ultimately in your actions. And it all starts in your mind.
All my articles and videos up to this point have been more practical and maybe less spiritual in nature, but today’s topic is one that is deeply spiritual. The mind and the spirit are connected. Honestly this is the most important topic that I’ve covered so far. If you put these principles into practice your life may never be the same.
Before we get into the 5 ways to shift your thinking, let me tell you a story from my life to illustrate the power of the mind. Last year around May or June I started having a bad case of low energy. I just struggled to find energy to live my life. Sometimes I had to force myself to w/o. Sometimes I slept the afternoon away. So I began researching possible causes and treatments of low energy in people my age. I changed my eating habits. I changed certain medications. I started taking vitamin B12… nothing really was helping.
Then one day I had a breakthrough: I was reading an article about low energy and it said one of the causes could be depression. It’s as if the word “depression” jumped off the page and I realized for the first time I may be depressed. Me? Depressed?? No way… But as I thought about it and prayed, God revealed to me that I was indeed depressed: A few months earlier I closed down my business of 30+ years, a business that I poured my heart and soul into but in the end failed. That’s kind of depressing. And we were in the middle of Covid, all my plans to be a Personal Trainer in a Big Name Gym went out the window.
So part of me, in order to protect me, zapped all my energy. It’s as if that part of me said, “you’ll fail anyway so why bother trying, it’s safer to just do nothing.” THAT is the power of the mind. I had no idea I was depressed, just that I was suffering from low energy. So once I realized what was really going on, then I could do something about it! I identified the wrong thinking, even though it was trying to protect me it was still wrong, selfish, sinful, and had to be put to death.
So I did what Romans 6 says, to reckon yourself dead to sin, rendered powerless. In Christ that part had no power over me. Next I resurrected that part of myself to serve Me and righteousness, and God’s purposes in my life. You see, that part of me, even though it was rendered powerless, was still there. So I decided to take authority over that part of myself, in Jesus Name, and resurrect it to serve me, to serve God, and righteousness not sin. That’s what the Bible says, right, I was crucified with Christ and now I am resurrected with Christ.
So now I allow that part of me to come out Sundays, it helps me relax. No longer is it “low energy” but “rest &relaxation.” No longer are the thoughts, “you’ll just fail so why bother trying.” Now they are, “Hey you need to rest one day a week buddy, c’mon this is for your own good.” And through this process I have been able to look to God for healing and comfort in those deep places.
I’ll be honest, it’s still a struggle sometimes, and sometimes you just have to embrace the resistance, face it head on and push through. So over the course of several months I have gone from someone who had no energy and was suffering from depression and didn’t even know it, to a person with the mindset of a high energy, successful, fit and healthy person. That is why this is the most important topic I have covered so far. And I want to help you change your mindset from where you are now to the mindset of a fit and healthy person, the Spirit & Muscle Mindset!
- Get the Mind of Christ. 1 Corinthians 2:14 says “The natural man does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God. For they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.” And verse 16 says that we have the mind of Christ. The “we” Paul is talking about here is believers, so if you are a born again believer in the Lord Jesus Christ you have the mind of Christ. The Spirit of Almighty God lives in you! You have access to all the wisdom in the universe, you just need to listen to what the Spirit of God is saying to you. If you are not a Christian, you do not have the mind of Christ (yet). If you have not yet placed your faith in Christ or if you’re not sure, it’s real simple: Acknowledge that you’re an imperfect sinner, just like the rest of us, that God sent Jesus Christ to die for your sins, repent from your sins (that means stop doing the things you know are wrong) and place your trust in Jesus to forgive you and make you a new person. The moment you do that you pass from death to life, darkness to light, and you are a new person! If you want to learn more of what it means to become a Christian (click here).
- Identify and Crucify. Identify wrong beliefs that we currently hold and put them to death. Jesus said if we want to follow Him we must deny ourselves, pick up our cross, and follow Him. Paul talked a lot about our old man being crucified with Christ. This means that old, sinful, wrong-thinking part of us is dead, or rendered powerless over us! So for example, part of you says, “I’ll always be fat, I’ll never change, that’s just who I am.” Immediately when you recognize that part of yourself speaking, crucify it! Remind it that is dead and holds no power over you. Repent from believing it. So whenever any wrong belief comes up, the moment you recognize it, identify it as a false belief and crucify it, don’t give it any power over you.
- Resurrect and replace. Now that that part of you producing that wrong thought is crucified or rendered inoperative in your life, we want to resurrect that part of you with healthy and positive ways of thinking. So instead of, “I’ll always be fat, I’ll never change, that’s just who I am” replace those negative thoughts with the Biblical positive alternative: “I don’t have to always be this way, I have the power to change, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!” Another word for this is “renewing your mind” or reprogramming your thinking. Find scriptures that are relevant to your situation. I realize this sounds like a Sunday School exercise, but your sub conscious mind operates on a very simple literal level. Remember your current mindset is a result of years of programming and enforcing neural pathways that cause you to think and behave the way you do. Today you can start taking control of your own mind, body, spirit actions. And it all starts in the mind.
- Embrace resistance. The church in the west has sold us a bill of goods when it comes to resistance - trials tribulations and warfare. We are taught to avoid pain at any cost and seek pleasure, that God wants us healthy and wealthy and pain free. The truth is that overcoming resistance is how we grow and succeed in life. Jesus said we are blessed when we are persecuted. James tells us to count it all joy when we face various trials. Paul told Timothy that all who desire to live Godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted. Many of us never start our fitness journey because it will be hard and we can’t eat what we want to. I’ve got news for you, it’s called working out for a reason. We call it training because we need to be trained. Weight lifting is specifically called resistance training. Think about that, We purposely embrace resistance so we can overcome it and embrace more resistance next time. And that’s how we grow and succeed at anything in life, including fitness.
- Take Action. The book of James tells us be doers of the word and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. In other words all this wisdom and Biblical principles are not worth anything if you don’t put them into practice. There’s another benefit to taking action: the best way to think of yourself as someone who makes healthy choices is to BE someone who makes healthy choices. By taking actions, even if they are small, you re-write over years of negative programming. Over time these choices become a habit, second nature, a part of who you are, the new you that is.
If you start re-training your mind to think this way it will have a profound impact on how you live your life. Not only health and fitness but every area of your life where you’re held back. I truly believe Christians have way more power and authority than we exercise. It’s time to tap into the power of the word of God and the Holy Spirit, amen!?
If you’re having problems getting started or keeping going on your fitness journey, pick up my free guide “Do what you *really* want.” The 3 Step Motivation Hack." It's a pdf guide that breaks this whole motivation thing into 3 simple steps that will help you get started, or keep going on your fitness journey.
The link is below. Thanks for reading, and God bless you!
Free 3 Step Motivation Hack: https://www.spiritandmuscle.com/motivation